Hear how a lot cash it can save you by putting in luxurious vinyl tile your self, what to do about thermal enlargement gaps in crown molding and extra.
Save Huge by Putting in LVT Your self
Luxurious vinyl tile is a superb possibility for owners searching for a sturdy, waterproof, and easy-to-clean flooring possibility.
Additionally, it’s one of the crucial reasonably priced flooring choices, making it an amazing selection for budget-conscious owners. Joe researched the prices and right here’s what he discovered:
Most individuals pay on common $1,400 to have 200 sq. ft of vinyl plank flooring put in. Nonetheless, you should purchase luxurious vinyl for $2.50-$4 per sq. foot at The Dwelling Depot.
So, if you happen to set up it your self, it might solely value you between $500-800. That’s a saving, on common, of $600-900 over a professionally put in job!
You don’t want any particular instruments to put in luxurious vinyl tile. A field cutter is all it takes to chop the tiles.
The primary mistake individuals make when putting in is chopping it tight towards a wall. All floating flooring require an enlargement house — you’ll want anyplace from 1 / 4 inch to half an inch.
Run the luxurious vinyl tile as much as the baseboard and canopy the hole with shoe molding. Simply you’ll want to safe the shoe molding to the baseboard.
Comply with the instructions precisely relating to any underlayment. Relying on the sort you purchase, the underlayment might already be connected.
Watch: Learn how to Simply Set up Luxurious Vinyl Tile
What to Do About Gaps in Crown Molding
That is the primary winter that Chris in Alabama has spent in his new dwelling, and he’s seeing the results of thermal enlargement. Over the previous months, he says important gaps have proven up within the crown molding all through the home.
“Ought to I ask my builder to right the problem? If the gaps are stuffed will it trigger the molding to buckle when it will get hotter?” he asks.
It’s superb how a lot supplies in a house broaden and contract, and doubtless nowhere is it extra evident than whenever you’re taking a look at crown molding.
These gaps will normally shut on their very own as soon as hotter climate comes again round. In case you have some gaps which can be very pronounced, right here’s what you are able to do:
- Nail it in place: Use a nail gun to safe the crown molding to the wall.
- Fill it with caulk: As a substitute of utilizing conventional caulk, fastidiously apply an acrylic latex caulk. The trick is to barely feed it into the cracked space, in order that when it does shut again, it stays versatile. The hole will nonetheless seem however it gained’t be as deep or as noticeable.
Take heed to be taught the simple approach to take away acorns out of your yard, why a glass cooktop can shatter, what it’s essential to do to cowl terracotta tile and extra.
Eliminating an Acorn Overload
That is nuts! A house owner says he has greater than 250,000 acorns in his entrance yard.
“Moreover raking, which I hate, how can I choose up the acorns? My self-propelled lawnmower doesn’t have the ability to select them up. Is there a chunk of kit appropriate for the job?” he asks.
Right here’s what you should use to take away from a yard:
- Leaf blower: A leaf blower can blow the acorns right into a pile, making them simpler to gather. Bonus tip: Use a tarp to include the acorns whereas blowing them, making cleanup even simpler!
- Garden vacuum: A garden vacuum can suck up acorns and take away them from the yard. These may be dear, so see if you happen to can hire one, or rent a landscaper who owns one to make use of in your yard.
To remove this drawback sooner or later, stop the acorns from falling within the first place. If attainable, take away the tree or prune it in order that it doesn’t produce as many acorns.
Some chemical remedies can stop acorn manufacturing, however solely an expert arborist ought to apply them.
Take into account — eradicating acorns may be time-consuming and also you may have to repeat it as new acorns fall. At all times put on security gear to guard your self from falling acorns and concentrate on bugs or critters within the acorns or hiding within the tree.
‘Why Did My Glass Cooktop Shatter?’
A house owner says the tempered glass on his fuel cooktop all of the sudden shattered the opposite day, regardless that it wasn’t on and he didn’t drop something onto it.
“What would trigger that to occur?” he asks.
Tempered glass is designed to be sturdy and sturdy, however it may well shatter unexpectedly for a number of causes. A number of the most typical causes of tempered glass shattering embrace:
- Improper set up: If the cooktop is just not put in appropriately, it may well put stress on the glass and trigger it to shatter. For example, if the countertop is overlapping the cooktop, it might put some stress on the highest, finally inflicting it to shatter.
- Thermal stress: If the cooktop or the glass is uncovered to fast modifications in temperature, resembling from a scorching pot being positioned on a chilly cooktop or vice versa, it may well trigger thermal stress and trigger the glass to shatter.
- Manufacturing defects: Typically, tempered glass can have manufacturing defects that make it extra liable to shattering. If that is so, report it to the producer.
You may name an expert to exchange the glass cooktop, however it is likely to be costly. Contemplate changing it with a range that doesn’t have a glass cooktop.
To forestall a glass cooktop from shattering, comply with the following pointers:
- Don’t place a scorching pot on a chilly cooktop or flip the cooktop on excessive and instantly place a chilly pot on it. This will trigger thermal stress and might trigger the glass to shatter.
- Use cookware with flat bottoms to distribute warmth evenly and forestall warping or bending.
- Don’t slide cookware throughout the cooktop, as it may well scratch or chip the glass.
- Do =n’t place heavy objects, resembling forged iron pans or strain cookers, on the cooktop as they will trigger affect harm.
- Clear the cooktop usually with a gentle detergent and a non-abrasive sponge or material to take away any dust, grime or stains.
- Use a stovetop cowl to guard the cooktop from scratches or stains when not in use.
- Don’t overheat the cooktop, as it may well trigger the glass to overheat and shatter.
- At all times comply with the producer’s directions for the care and use of your cooktop.
Protecting Terracotta Tile
A house owner has terracotta tiles all through her second-floor California apartment.
“The floor is just too laborious, very uncomfortable!” she says. “Can we now have extra snug flooring put in on prime? It looks like removing will likely be very costly, disruptive and noisy.”
As a result of conventional terracotta flooring has such an irregular floor, you’ll need to apply a self-leveling underlayment to create a clean, even floor for putting in one other kind of flooring over it.
You may run into the issue of elevating the ground peak an excessive amount of to the place it may well block home equipment from opening or make them not degree together with your cupboards and counters. Examine the peak of the brand new flooring to verify this gained’t occur after you’ve put in it.
There are a number of choices for protecting terracotta tiles, together with:
- Vinyl flooring: Vinyl flooring may be put in over the present tiles and is sturdy and simple to wash.
- Engineered hardwood flooring: Engineered hardwood flooring may be put in over the present tiles and supply a heat and pure look.
- Laminate flooring: Laminate flooring can be put in over the present tiles and is obtainable in lots of kinds and colours.
- Floating flooring: A floating flooring is a kind of flooring that’s not connected to the subfloor, any such flooring may be put in over the terracotta tiles and may be made of various supplies like laminate, engineered hardwood, or cork.
Seek the advice of with an expert flooring specialist to find out the best choice in your particular scenario.
Finest New Merchandise
|Milwaukee’s new battery pack retains instruments powered for longer, so there’s much less downtime throughout your tasks. Be taught extra >>|
Pool-Toy Plumbing Instrument — Earlier than repairing most plumbing clogs, you should first take away any standing water. Now, you could possibly use a sponge or moist/dry vac, however right here’s another choice: take a child’s water-squirting toy, generally known as a water blaster, and use it like a siphon pump. Merely place the nozzle of the toy into the water and draw again on the deal with to suck up the water. Then you possibly can squirt it right into a bucket, rest room or tub. That is nice for sink clogs, rest room clogs, or you probably have a malfunctioning washer that has water standing within the tub.
Watch: Learn how to Take away Standing Water From a Clogged Sink
Paint Display Saver — When utilizing paint from a beforehand opened can, it’s greatest to move the paint by way of a filter to display out dried paint chips and different small bits of particles. You should buy disposable paint filters, however they’re flimsy, not reusable and the paint flows by way of a lot too slowly. As a substitute, use a chunk of vinyl insect screening. Minimize the display about 12 or 14in. sq., safe it to a brand new, clear paint can with three small spring clamps, after which pour the outdated paint by way of the display. When completed, rinse out the display with a backyard hose and reserve it for the following paint job.
Watch: Learn how to Filter Paint Utilizing a Window Display
Radio Present & Podcast: Ship us your query!
In case you have a remark, normal query about dwelling enchancment, or one thing we have featured on At this time’s House owner, please fill on this type: